Sunday, April 21, 2013

From Cardboard to Iron Oxide (part 1)


So, it's time to pay the debt I accrued by not writing anything since the entry where I promised to write a lot. The trip is now well underway, but I'm going to try and retrace my steps back, which will be difficult since I usually have trouble remembering where I had lunch by dinner time. The last few days can be split into three distinct phases. I think it's of no surprise to anyone that they are: last hectic days at SpaceX, couple of hectic days preparing for the trip, and then hectic freedom. By the way, a note, all of this was happening in the context of the events in Boston that I don't talk about here, but my sympathy for everyone affected. It's my home. But that's out of scope here, so I will say no more.

The last days at SpaceX were great and full of ITAR protected stuff. This just means I left a lot of work until last minute. A day of busy coding interrupted by frequent calls from a somewhat confused HR. We had a great last day however. It can be described as something like this: code, code, code, code, pack, commit code, beer, tapas, beer, tapas, beer, beer, quick break to transition to a larger bar, beer, beer, beer, build breakage due to my commit, beer....beer....be. A ton of people made it out, and it was great to see everyone. I will miss everyone. Although, protip: quitting one's job leaves you with a sense of freedom that has no equal. Highly recommended at least once to everyone.

Then I started packing. Which is both depressing and interesting. I love change, but I do dwell on things too, so mixed feelings. While packing I discovered many items that have been lost to civilization since undergrad (I have to specify this now, since I'm fairly certain I will have a 'grad' phase soon). This was great, but I ended up tossing my German text book and my RS-232 breakout board anyways. Kept the Diablo II CD because you just never know.

The following day, Meir, the dude from the moving company showed up. Meir ended up being a kind mannered Israeli who used to live roughly a couple of blocks from our house in Boston. When my neighbor tried to get his Acura out of the driveway that was partially blocked by Meir's truck, Meir exhibited his Israeli ex-military side. Meir gave him a casual wave of the hand and said "Of course you'll make it". To my untrained eye it looked like if the Acura's paint-job was any thicker, it probably wouldn't make it by. My (ex) neighbor did not share Meir's cavalier attitude towards his own shiny Acura, and made Meir move the truck. This earned him the title of "Californian Yuppie" sometime after the Acura had disappeared over the hill. Meir of course had also served in Israel as infantry. I instantly regretted wearing my IDF t-shirt that day, due to a misplaced sense of guilt I always feel in these kinds of situations. Due to some cosmic sense of humor or justice, I met 4 Israelis on that day. That's four times I had to guiltily explain I don't speak Hebrew. All in all, surprisingly great moving experience.

Then, it was time to pack for the road trip. I went to REI to buy all the gear I could possibly imagine needing over the course of a 38 day drive and hike trip. As it turns out, my over active imagination brought REI roughly $1,100 dollars of revenue. Shopping in REI I stumbled over a guy that had some grizzly bear advice for me. I was rewarded with some colorful descriptions in which grizzlies can either pretend to charge you, or actually charge you. I was very interested at what point does one become the other. My question was answered consecutively by a dramatic pause, raised eye brows and a surprisingly helpful "Oh. you'll know". I guess I'll find out, although personally hopefully not.

Packing for such a long time is surprisingly difficult. You have to pack gear based on several characteristics: how often you think you'll need to use it (average utility), and how long you're willing to dig around for said object in the car (level of necessity). Those seem like they're the same thing, but they're not. For example: toilet paper ranks pretty low in one category and very high in another. If it ranks high for you in both, consider yourself lucky, I guess. To complicate the issue, there is an inherent desire to keep like things in like containers. Long story short, first thing I will do when I hit Salt Lake City is to buy a roof container. I've realized that surface area is king for these things, efficiency be damned.

Since then I've hit Grand Canyon, and Zion, and am heading into Bryce tomorrow early morning. That post will be accompanied by lots of photos, and its own set of stories. That's the Iron Oxide part of things.

1 comment:

Elina said...

Три мула по десять сундуков... не много ль будет?
You'll figure out your organization on the road, probably throughout your trip. Irka and I ended up packing our everyday kitchen+food stuff in two huge plastic boxes that lived in the back seat. They were fairly easy to bring outside and sort through, quick to pack and easy to organize. You throw non-perishable food, snack and paper-towels in one, kitchen appliances, portable stove, dishware, cleaning supplies, and lamp in the other. You take the boxes and cooler out when you're ready for your meals and put them away right after to avoid meeting bears and other fauna.
The other big thing that needs to be easily reachable is your first aid kit.
`el