Thursday, April 4, 2013

Changing Life in 2 Weeks

I've decided it's time to pick up blogging again. Empirical evidence (see below) suggests that I only have the attention span to make a single entry. I intend to break that record.

I am on the tail end of an awesome 3.5 years working at SpaceX, and it is time for a change. At this point I'm going to spare you lots of sappy commentary about my growth as an engineer, and even as a person, and all the great folks working super hard at SpaceX. It's all there, but that's just not in the culture to wax poetic. We use lots of action verbs, say you instead of we when somebody screws up, and fist bump each other when somebody doesn't. I've had my share being on the giving and receiving end of both. If it wasn't for the lack of [perfect] documentation we would probably just grunt at each other rather than talk. Particularly on Saturday mornings.

It's great, but interests change. In 12 days I will be departing SpaceX. In the fall I will start my aero/astro Masters at MIT in Boston (home!) at the Space Systems Lab (SSL). Expect more acronym soup when that happens. Except I'm not really really leaving SpaceX.

Sometimes, when a relationship has lasted so long, and it's time to break up, neither side can seem to really make the tough call. You meander around the truth, and constantly forget inane objects at their place so that you can come by and pick them up. That's how it is. I'll be contracting with SpaceX during my prolonged absence. It's an open relationship (Californian employment laws). It might not work out, but I think we're both willing to work at it. Also I'm probably going to stash my coffee mug somewhere there just in case.

In the meantime, I am faced with a rare period of zero obligation. Time for irresponsible decisions.

Phase 1: Road trip across the US hitting as many national parks as I can.
The goal? Boston.
Specifically? Redbones barbecue in Somerville, MA.
WTF? Because I've never been there and I've heard it's not a nice place to grab lunch. This trip is so epic, so not even something this stupid can cheapen it. All distances from this point on will be noted as distance to Redbones.

Trip status: 2604.21 Miles as the crow flies. 5538 miles driving per route below.

Trip Plans
The big destinations: Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Badlands.

 Rough plan is 18 days of 5 hours driving per day, and about 17-18 days of just hiking.



View Larger Map
I am massively open to suggestions of places to stop by on the road, as I feel woefully unprepared for this trip. I will post a tentative schedule in a later post. If anything, that will break my one post record.

I am also open to company. I will post some tool that will allow people to sign up for slots, I already have people interested. Now I need to commit to a schedule. I have to be responsibly irresponsible.

5 comments:

LuLu said...

Are you going by yourself?

Lat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lat said...

Amazing route, Boris! Enjoy the period where you have more time and less responsibility than ever.

Nothing like digging up a 6 year old blog :)

Unknown said...

I'll be waiting in boston! have an awesome trip!!!!

Lutorm said...

Hey, that trip overlaps a lot with our trip from Santa Cruz to Somerville! Craters of the Moon, Tetons, Badlands, Niagara Falls... We went through the Michigan Upper Peninsula (and not though Canada since I didn't have a visa). And we only had 10 days total. But most crucially, we didn't know about Red Bones yet! This looks like an awesome trip.